Recently my wife ran one of her 21 Day Green Smoothie Challenges. Challenges are a great way to build your email list because when done right, the participants are getting some really good value out of it.
We used Facebook ads to find most of the participants for the challenge. This case study is going to illustrate how you can use Facebook Ads to build your list by putting your offer in front of the right people.
For this case study, the client (my wife :-)) wanted to fill her challenge and get email leads for people who were into or wanted to get healthy, eat better and lose weight.
We were promoting a 21 Day Green Smoothie Challenge. The idea was to attract people who wanted to get healthy and lose weight by giving them something simple to do each day… just drink one green smoothie. They would get weekly recipes and shopping lists to make it super easy for them.
We already had some people familiar with her brand, so we started with these:
- Facebook page fans
- existing email subscribers
- lookalike audience from email subscribers
- lookalike audience from Facebook page fans
I used audience insights to find other Facebook pages and interests to target based on people who were already interested in green smoothies, raw food and clean eating.
The Landing Page
We used LeadPages to create a simple lead generation page.
The Ad Campaign
We created an ad campaign with the objective of “website conversions”.
The Ad Sets
We used the demographic data from audience insights to narrow in on the age range and gender. As you can see, Facebook is telling us (from their very own data) that people who are interested in green smoothies and 92% female and 75% are between the ages of 35-64.
Make sure you use audience insights, this type of research data is priceless.
We decided to target females between the ages of 35-60 who live in the US, United Kingdom, Canada, or Australia.
We decided to create many ad sets for this campaign so that we could see which different targeting groups converted the best. We did however keep the demographic targeting the same for all ad sets.
We created different ad sets to target the following:
- Facebook page fans
- Friends of Facebook page fans
- email list subscribers
- a lookalike audience based on an existing email list
- a lookalike audience based on Facebook page fans
- fans of the Facebook page Fully Raw
- fans of the Facebook page Kris Car
- fans of the Facebook page Mind Body Green
- fans of the Facebook page Green Smoothie Girl
- fans of the Facebook page 100 days of real food
- fans of the Facebook page Blender Girl
- fans of the Facebook page Dr. Mercola
- fans of the Facebook page Dr. Josh Axe
- fans of the Facebook page Coconut Mama
- fans of the Facebook page doTERRA
- fans of the Facebook page Wellness Mama
We initially set all ad sets to run ads in the desktop and mobile news feeds only.
We also set the conversion window to one day, meaning someone had to subscribe within one day of clicking on the ad for it to be counted as a conversion.
For all ad groups we tested two different versions of the ad (same ad copy, different ad image).
Ad Version #1
Ad Version 2
So this particular campaign ran for 8 days and generated 421 new email subscribers at an average of $0.45 each. So we spent a total of $187.48 to get 421 subscribers for this list.
Areas For Optimization
You can see most of our conversions came from the mobile newsfeed and at a much lower cost, as a result after a day or so we stopped running the desktop newsfeed ads.
You will also see most of the conversions were coming from the 45-54 age range, we could have altered our targeting to that specific age range to improve our results even more. Due to the short duration of this campaign we didn’t but it would have been worth a try if we were going to run this campaign for longer.
We strategically created many ad sets based on different targeting for this campaign. As you can see, when you do this you are able to see which targeting is converting better. We paused or lowered the budget on the poor converting ones and increased the budget on the better converting ones.
The best converting ad set was the fans of the Facebook page Fully Raw, 169 conversions at $.25 per conversion when the average cost-per-conversion for all the ad sets was $0.45.
These were the worst converting ad sets.
As far as the ad image split testing, while the results varied somewhat between the different ad sets, in general the ad with Katherine holding a green smoothie performed the best.
Why It Worked
We had a good offer. People were not only signing up for the challenge, but they were also liking our Facebook page and sharing the post (our ad) with their friends!
We used audience insights to find other related Facebook pages and interests to target, we then targeted them in separate ad sets and found some clear winners. We probably never would have thought to target the Fully Raw Facebook page but in the end that brought us the most leads at the cheapest cost.
We targeted close relevant audiences. You can tell by looking at the ad Relevance Score, we consistently were around 9 or 10.
We split test different targeting groups so we could scale up the winners and stop the poor performers.
- A great offer – this will not only ensure conversions but will also get your ad shared and generate new likes for your page.
- Split test different targeting groups to find the winners.
- Split test different ad images.
Comment below and let me know what you split test when running Facebook Ads. Also, feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding this Facebook ads case study.